Can Dates fruit for health?
The date is a one-seeded fruit, or berry, usually oblong but varying much in shape, size, color, quality, and consistency of flesh, according to the conditions of culture. More than 1,000 dates may appear on a single bunch weighing 8 kg (18 pounds) or more. And The Date has so many benefits. The dried fruit is more than 50 percent sugar by weight and contains about 2 percent each of protein, fat and mineral matter. Wikipedia
Dates provide a wide range of essential nutrients which make it a rich fruit of all. Its main nutrients are as follows;
Fresh dates have soft and easily digestible flesh which contains simple sugars such as dextrose and fructose. When consumed, they replenish energy and revitalize the body instantly.
The date is rich in dietary fiber, which prevents LDL cholesterol absorption in the gut. In addition to this, the fiber serves as a bulk laxative and aids in the protection of the colon mucous membrane by decreasing its food exposure time.
3. Have plenty of vitamins.
– Vitamin A: Dates are known to be moderate sources of vitamin-A (contains 149 International Unit per 100 g), which is known to contain antioxidant properties and crucial for vision. Additionally, it is also required to maintain the health of skin and mucous membrane. Intake of fruits that are naturally rich in vitamin A is known to aid in protecting against lung and oral cavity cancers.
– Vitamin B-complex: This fruit has adequate levels of a B-complex group of vitamins. It has very good amounts of pyridoxine (vitamin B-6), riboflavin, niacin and Pantothenic acid; these vitamins take part in the cellular metabolism of carbohydrates, protein, and lipids.
– Vitamin K: Its benefits are, It regulates blood clotting by transporting calcium from the body to the area of injury. It also reduces malabsorption, jaundice and internal bleeding in the liver. It is required to produce a protein called Osteocalcin which binds calcium to the bones matrix to increase its density and in this way, it prevents us from osteoporosis. A woman experiencing excess menstrual bleeding would be deficient in Vitamin K. Dates can help her in reducing the blood flow out of the body.
4. Dates also have minerals.
– Calcium: It is a very the important mineral that is an integral constituent of teeth and bone, and needed by the body for muscle contraction, nerve impulse conduction, and blood clotting.
– Manganese: It is utilized by the body as a co-factor for the antioxidant enzyme Superoxide Dismutase.
– Potassium: 100 g of dates is comprised of 696 mg or 16% of daily recommended levels of Potassium. It is an essential component of cell and body fluids that help in controlling blood pressure and heart rate. They offer protection against stroke and coronary heart diseases.
Dates contain antioxidant flavonoids like, Beta- carotene, Tannins, Lutein and Zeaxanthin. These antioxidants protect human cells from dangerous effects of oxygen-free radicals, therefore, eating dates is useful in protecting against cancer of the colon, prostate glands, breast, lung, and pancreas.
Tannins are widely known to possess anti-infective, anti-hemorrhagic and anti-inflammatory (prevent easy bleeding tendencies) properties. Zeaxanthin is a crucial dietary carotenoid that is selectively absorbed into the retinal cell line, where it is thought to provide protective light-filtering and antioxidant functions. It thus offers protection against age-related macular degeneration of eyes.
Dates are a great source of iron, containing 0. 90 mg/100 g of fruits (about 11% of Required Dietary Intake). Iron determines the oxygen-carrying capacity of the blood.
7. Dates can be used for a treatment of different disease & disorders.
– Iron Deficiency: The dates are the best source of iron and it fulfills our nutritional needs at its best.
– Heart disease: Its Potassium helps to control heart rate and blood pressure.
– Constipation: Date’s fiber reduces LDL cholesterol absorption in the gut and thus protects mucous membrane of the colon from cancer and works as a bulk laxative to treat constipation. Vitamin B complex also plays important role in metabolism of carbohydrates, protein, and fats.
– Anti Hemorrhagic: Calcium, Vitamin K & tannins of dates prevent easy bleeding tendencies.
– Anti cancer: Because of multiple flavonoids it protects our body from colon, prostate, breast, endometrial, lung, oral and pancreatic cancers.
– Eye’s problem: It’s Zea-Xanthin protects us against age-related macular degeneration of eyes. Vitamin “A” of dates also improves vision.
8. Dates have many benefits
In case you thought that dates were used only in puddings, desserts, and cakes, think again. The dates’ nutrition value is incredible. Rich in calcium, sulfur, iron, potassium, phosphorus, manganese, copper, magnesium, volatile oils, Vitamin-B6, folic acid, proteins, sugars, vitamins and natural fibers, it is no wonder why dates’ nutrition is so widely used in the treatment of such a variety of disorders. Overweight is a problem which is at the root of many short and long term disorders. Few of the common outcome of being overweight include sleep apnea, irregular bowel movements, low energy levels, hypertension, diabetes, arthritis and the list is nearly endless.
9. Suitable for weight loss
If you are suffering from sleep apnea, chances are that your excess body weight could be responsible for this sleep disorder. Obviously, you are trying to lose weight. There is good news for you. Dates’ nutrition can now help you lose weight effectively. Because dates contain natural sugars in the form of glucose and fructose that are readily absorbed by the body, they act very effectively as an appetite-suppressant. The high value of dates’ nutrition can effectively combat hunger pangs and the tendency to nibble between meals.
10. A date can keep your energy
It has been observed that overweight people find it difficult to resist the food cravings and this, in turn, makes their weight loss goals tough to achieve. But with dates’ nutrition, you can simply eat a few of these fruits and you would no longer feel like reaching out for those unhealthy and fat-rich snacks. The dates’ nutrition would provide the body with the necessary natural sugar needed to keep up the energy levels and at the same time reduce the degree of food consumption.
The other great benefit you can expect from dates’ nutrition is its ability to cure constipation and various other intestinal disorders. You surely know that being overweight means that you would also have several digestive disorders to live with, constipation being one of them. It is also true that your weight loss goals are easier to achieve when you have clear bowel movements. Dates’ nutrition value does not end with only nutrients but they are also rich in fibers which are excellent to stimulate sluggish bowels. Soak some dates overnight and have date syrup the next morning for a good laxative effect.